Thousands of households could get free £36 supermarket vouchers to help with food bills


Hard-Up families can receive free cash for essential living costs, including a £36 voucher for food items.

The additional assistance comes as part of the government’s Domestic Support Fund (HSF) initiative.


Household Assistance Fund being launched for residents in dire need of financial assistancecredit: getty

HSF was first started by Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) In October last year with a pot of £500 million to help vulnerable families get through the difficult winter period.

The plan was originally intended to last six months, but Chancellor Rishi Sunak announced an extension of the deadline to six months in his spring statement.

The current batch of funding will be available until 30 September – but families are urged to apply for help as soon as possible, as local councils may have to stop providing help sooner if they use up the cash in their pot. We do.

The fund is designed to support the most needy families, especially those with children and pensioners who are grappling with energy bills, food and water bills.

Martin Lewis reveals easy check could save thousands on essential bill
Thousands of families will receive £150 free cash next week

The money is given to local councils, which will decide what kind of help to offer and who is eligible in their area.

This can come in the form of free cash grants, school meal vouchers, or money for essentials including sanitary products or household items such as fridges, freezers and ovens.

This comes when inflation rises 9% in April In a blow to households facing a subsistence crisis, the energy regulator has warned that Bills reach £2,800 by October,

How can I claim free cash?

Each council determines how to use its budget to help local residents, many first with supermarkets and fuel vouchers or one-time payments.

Not all residents can receive support due to eligibility requirements, so it is best to check your local council’s website.

Some councils offer assistance automatically, while in other areas you must apply.

Coventry City Council said families in the area can apply for help, but it will also accept applications from third parties such as social workers, relatives, friends and others if you know someone who needs some help. .

Families in the area can claim a one-time supermarket voucher for £36, which they can put into the cost of their meals and so have more money left over to pay their energy bills.

To get the voucher you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be in receipt of the maximum amount of council tax assistance
  • Get exemption from council tax: Your property is wholly occupied by people with severe mental impairment, you live in an annexe and you are a dependent relative of a person who is a resident in the main family property, you are a Coventry care leaver who is liable to council tax and is a resident of that property

Once Coventry Council has received your application, a member of its community support team will contact the resident to discuss their application with a letter.

But you can still try and get help if you haven’t been contacted.

To claim the voucher, you must:

  • Scan the QR code on your letter (which you will receive if you are eligible for a voucher) using your smartphone’s camera – this code is unique to your voucher
  • You will be asked to enter your email address or mobile phone number to claim the voucher.
  • If you have previously used the e-voucher platform, a link will be sent to you to login. If you haven’t used the platform before, you will need to create an account before you can login.
  • After logging in, you can choose your preferred supermarket, then your digital voucher will appear.

Eligible people can apply more than once, the council said, so you may be able to get more than one cash.

When will I be able to claim my free cash?

A portion of the money is given to each council to help local residents nationwide.

To find out what assistance is available in your area, speak with your local council directly, or visit its website for more information.

You can find your respective officials using Govt. local council checker tool and inputting your postcode.

For example, Torbay Council is providing a maximum of £50 for food to eligible residents, and another £50 for energy bills where necessary.

in the meantime Kensington and Chelsea Residents can grab up to £150 to help cover household bills, food and clothing.

If you are not eligible for HSF but still need help, there are other support packages you can take advantage of.

For example, big-name energy providers have offered to help Grant Which can be availed by the bill payers.

Charities and organizations on top of providers offering their own grants may also be able to help.

I'm 76 years old and my man is 19... Trolls say I look like their grandma, but we're in love
Sunak may announce tomorrow to help Britons with rising energy bills

If you are concerned about cost of living or debt, many charities may also be able to offer free advice or assistance:

  • National Credit Line – 0808 808 4000
  • Phase Change – 0800 138 1111
  • Citizen Advice – 0808 800 9060

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team?


Source link

Leave a Comment